Headway Suffolk’s new ‘Wood and Work Experience’ project will provide a safe and stimulating environment for disadvantaged clients we support to create a social enterprise by making and selling woodwork items for the charity and learning tangible work experience skills.
The project will enable clients to, with support where necessary from Headway’s trained staff, learn and carry out the whole process from start to finish, and to develop new or relearn old skills lost due to their disability at every stage.
This will include:
- Researching popular, practical and profitable woodwork items to make
- Identifying suitable and affordable woodwork equipment needed within budget
- Sourcing wood materials for free or as cheap as possible, appealing for donations and establishing links with local businesses and traders
- Designing and making woodwork products following health and safety guidelines
- Pricing, marketing and selling all items to suitable buyer audience and charity supporters
- Reviewing and refining process so it is self-sustaining for the clients and the charity
Our Wood and Work Experience project will enrich the lives of the disadvantaged clients involved by giving them real work experience, the opportunity to learn new or relearn skills, giving them a sense of purpose, boost their mental health and wellbeing, and creating togetherness, social interaction and team work.
In addition, it will give clients the platform, experience and confidence to expand their opportunities and improve their prospects of gaining with voluntary work or paid employment that they have been previously unable to achieve due to their injury or condition.
Please support our Crowdfunding appeal to make this project possible: